To be sold at the
2018 BARRETT JACKSON SCOTTSDALE AUCTION
*Pebble Beach First in Class Winner
*Lucius Beebe Trophy Award Winner
This Rolls-Royce Phantom III was sold new to JM Nicholson with a limousine body built by a small English coachbuilding company called W.S. Atcherley; it was one of only ten Rolls-Royce cars built by that company. In 1947, having been bought by Rolls-Royce collector John Gaul, it changed bodies to this extravagant design by Freestone & Webb, which uses a double skin of copper over steel for the fenders and includes many luxury fittings. It was known to Gaul’s friends and family as Gaul’s “Copper Kettle.” During the late forties and early fifties the car was shown at many European Concours becoming famous throughout Rolls-Royce circles.
This car is one of the most dashing Rolls-Royce Towncars ever built. Some of its many unusual features are brushed copper engine turned fenders and running boards, polished copper swage lines on the bonnet, polished copper exterior and interior hardware and radiator louvers finished in matte black. The body was painted burgundy featuring a coachsill with cane work on the rear door and quarter section. The interior features included veneers with an ivory and brass inlay, dark maroon leather upholstery in the front and dark maroon west-of-England cloth with ivory piping in the rear.
click image to view next